Sunday, September 1, 2013

Strawberry-lime-a-mojito-rita: a mouthful of goodness

It's been a day.  In fact, it's been a series of days.  Between long drives with my family and long bouts of stormy weather, I haven't had much energy to make anything except a matching long face (haha!).

I drove my family to UIUC to visit my little brother who just transferred to the university.  Little brother included, three of my six brothers live in the area. I love my family dearly, so seeing them all is such a treat!  Unfortunately, I just absolutely loathe driving and sitting still for so long.  Pretty views of the sky and frequent breaks to stretch my legs got me through. (Though I was still a bit of a sour puss.)


I did, however, craft a delicious frozen treat inspired by a recipe in Chickpea Magazine.  And, as I usually do, I found a way to blend it with alcohol and make something even better.  For this easy peezy drink recipe that will impress all your friends, you'll need some Bud Light Lime-a-Rita.  Which, no worries, I looked into it -- it's vegan.  Thank you Barnivore.  I hope this drink can make an appearance at some of the last summer nights you spend outdoors around a fire with friends or just a casual screening of Sherlock at a pal's house.  Let me know what you think!




Strawberry-lime-a-mojito-rita
Ingredients
1 medium cucumber
2 c. strawberries
a generous amount of fresh mint
--
Bud Light Lime-a-Rita

1.  Chop cucumbers and strawberries so they'll fit in your blending apparatus.  Blend all ingredients.



2.  Pour blended mixture into ice cube trays (should fill ~2 trays).  Let solidify for 2-3 hours.  Enjoy an ice cube plain!
I'm a sloppy lady.

3. Then combine one can of chilled lime-a-rita and two ice cubes in a glass.  Let the fruity ice begin to melt, but drink before it's completely melted down so your drink evolves as you sip.  Go from a margarita lime sweetness, to a thicker consistency with strawberry pulp, and finish with notes of mint and the fresh zing of a mojito.
4.  Repeat step 3 (at least once)

2 comments: