Saturday, September 7, 2013

Lazy days: Chia seed pudding with warm peaches and bananas

Though I've seen so many quick and simple recipes for chia pudding, and I make a breakfast that sits in the fridge overnight at least a few times each week, I have never actually used chia seeds to create a breakfast pudding.  I had lots of guidelines, advice, and inspiration, clearly.  So, when I set out to make breakfast this morning, it wasn't very difficult to wing it with the ingredients I had on hand and hope for the best! I was happy with the end result, and I have left-overs chilling the fridge.  Not a bad deal at all.

Chia Seed Pudding with Warm Peaches and Bananas

Ingredients
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 cup unsweetened soy milk
1 ripe (but not overripe) peach, diced
1 ripe banana, cut in medium-thin slices
Ground cinnamon

1.  Put your chia seeds into a bowl and add the soy milk.  Stir.  Wait just a few minutes (this is a good time for cutting your fruit if you haven't already) and stir again.  Repeat this just once more.  The chia seed pudding should set fairly quickly, though the texture will become thicker the longer you wait.  If you prefer to do this step the night before, then you can refrigerate your chia seed and soy milk mixture overnight.

2.  Toss the diced peach and banana in a generous amount of cinnamon until well-coated.  On the stovetop, place the diced peach and banana in a non-stick pan.  Turn the stove to medium heat.  Cover the pan.  After about 5 minutes, begin stirring the fruit gently and sporadically.  Let cook for another 5 minutes, lowering the heat if necessary.  By the time you finish heating the peach and banana, there should be a thick natural syrup holding the fruit together and it will seem like many of the banana chunks disappeared (they are just a part of the syrup, silly!).


3.  Scoop the (now nearly-compote) fruit mixture on top of your chia pudding.  Mix in well.  Should serve two!

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Do you think you can make some kind of porridge with flax seeds? I'm just asking because I bought them to make vegan eggs a couple times and I still have SO much! I will be doing google research and report back but I just wanted to chime in here.

    Also, I looove your new header and matching color scheme/layout! So pretty and very earth-friendly looking.

    Alicia | Jaybird: Home in Motion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My google research showed that it's totally do-able! But lots of chia seed pudding recipes came up, too! I swear chia seeds are taking over the interwebs just like kittens. Totally tangential, sorry! Please let me know how the flax seed porridge turns out if you make it!!

      And thank you! I had fun playing on blogger yesterday!

      Delete
  2. I made something similar this week with pears. The only difference was that I used my immersion blender to mash up the pears which I then stirred into the chia seed pudding entirely and then divided into mason jars for the week. Yum! Peach season is already over here, but apple season is right around the corner, which would go nicely as well, I'd say.

    Sarah | www.fortheloveofchow.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YUM! Pears or apples sound great!! I only kept some in the fridge for the next day because I wasn't sure how long the chia seeds and fruit would keep! But if I can plan ahead for a whole week that's awesome!! Thanks for the tip!

      Delete