Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pumpkin muffins with craisins and dark chocolate


Do you remember what I was saying about fall?  About the feeling that comes with the flavors, the smells, the colors, the season?!


Well, I certainly haven't forgotten.  My autumn lust remains in full force.


Which is why P.S. Cooper, boyfriend/bestfriend hybrid of the year, received eight (though I made nine) pumpkin muffins this morning.  To make these autumnal breakfast treats, I halved a recipe I found online and made a few small tweaks, reflected below.  


For a gluten-free version, you could try subbing the whole wheat flour with almond meal or Bob Red Mill's gluten free flour. Let me know how it goes!



Pumpkin muffins with craisins and dark chocolate
Adapted from vegetarian.about.com

Ingredients
Dry
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
Wet
1/2 c. rice milk
1/2 c. pumpkin puree
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
Add-ins
1/4 c. craisins
1/4 c. vegan dark chocolate, roughly chopped (use a serrated knife if you want to include chocolate shavings as well)

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Put the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.  Stir well to combine.

2.  In a separate mixing bowl, combine your wet ingredients, once again stirring well.

3.  Add your wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until fully incorporated.  At this point, fold in your craisins and dark chocolate.

4.  In an oiled muffin tin, or in a muffin tin lined with baking cups, spoon the batter until each cup is 3/4 full.  Place in oven.  Bake for 20 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.

4 comments:

  1. Nom nom nom! I made some pumpkin muffins with craisins, chopped dried apricots and fresh blueberries the other day using mostly pumpkin puree + eggs + almond meal. They are just the right thing for a bright fall breakfast. Please keep the pumpkin goodies coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! Those muffins sound delicious! I love dried apricots; I don't know why they don't make it into my baking more often!

      Delete
  2. I end up halving most baking recipes. I mean, do two people really need 5 dozen cookies?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! As much as I love sweets, I don't need that many cookies, brownies, or muffins! Maybe scones, though...

      Delete