Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Simple sides: nectarine salsa

Since I introduced you to P. S. Cooper during my weekend recap, it seems only natural to share some of the food we've cooked either together or for one another.  Although I joke that I'm attempting to convert P. S. Cooper to veganism, I actually don't intend to do so at all!  Apart from differing dietary preferences, he and I disagree about what makes a good pizza (dough-y and soft for me; a super crispy crust for him), and we don't always see eye to eye when it comes to seasoning (who doesn't recognize crushed red pepper as the ultimate pantry staple spice?!).  Yet somehow we always manage to impress and delight when we cook for each other.

A few weeks back, I made this nectarine salsa along with chipotle tempeh and black bean stuffed bell peppers for  P. S. Cooper.  His office has an annual homemade salsa contest, which he asserts this salsa would win!  Go nectarine salsa, go! Go good boyfriend with your good compliments, go!

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.  As for the chipotle tempeh and black bean stuffed bell pepper recipe -- I'll post it in the coming weeks!


Nectarine Salsa


Ingredients
3 nectarines (anywhere between firm and just ripe will do, I liked having both firm and ripe fruit in the mix) diced
1/2 red onion diced
1/2 jalapeƱo with seeds (adjust to your desired level of spice), finely chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
juice of 3 limes
dash of salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, add lime juice and salt last.  Stir. Chill in fridge for 1 - 2 hours.  Salsa keeps for a few days but tastes and looks best fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment